The new Cultural Aesthetics display highlights bold ornamental patterns on traditional clothing by pairing them with beautiful instruments from the Middle East and South Asia.
The huge bell of this gold-plated sousaphone is expertly engraved with ornamental and surprising details. See it in the United States / Canada Gallery!
TRAVEL THE WORLD THROUGH MUSIC
Enter the Musical Instrument Museum and embark on a musical journey around the globe. MIM’s collection is presented in Geographic Galleries that focus on five major world regions. These are:
- The Africa and Middle East Gallery, which displays instruments and artifacts from sub-Saharan, North African, and Middle Eastern nations.
- The Asia and Oceania Gallery, which features instruments from countries and island groups in five sub-galleries devoted to regions of East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, and Central Asia and the Caucasus.
- The Europe Gallery, where guests encounter instruments ranging from an antique charter horn and a foot-operated drum kit to a child’s vessel flute.
- The Latin America Gallery, which features instruments and ensembles displayed in three sub-galleries: South America, Central America and Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- The United States / Canada Gallery, where guests can observe the diverse array of instruments that shaped the North American musical landscape, including the Appalachian dulcimer, sousaphone, ukulele, and electric guitar. Special exhibits focus on iconic American musical-instrument manufacturers such as Martin and Steinway.